Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hard Decisions = Big Changes

So in the last month I secretly applied for a job. I only told a few people mainly because I didn't want to have to tell people when I didn't get the job. I also didn't want to hear peoples opinions until I knew I had the job. Well they call this morning and I got the job. It is at the new American Furniture Warehouse, as their showroom floor designer. Basically you design the furniture displays. It is sorta what I went to school for. It pays $16.00 and hour and I would work 40 hours a week.
I am so torn on what to to. I love being home with my kids and the thought of missing things makes me want to cry, literally right now I am tearing up. They would only be in daycare 2-3 days a week. When Chris is on days off they would stay home with him.
Chis knew I was applying for the job, I think he just thought I wouldn't get it. He doesn't want me to take it for selfish reasons (this is not ment in a bad way). We will see each other a lot less. His weeks off are nice right now because we can do whatever we want. If I am working he will have to be Mr.Mom on his days off, and we wont be able to take mini vacations on his weeks off, but we cannot afford mini vacations right now.
Even tho we got rid of the truck, we are still living paycheck to paycheck, and it sucks. Daycare for all three kids is going to cost about $1,000 a month, give or take some. I will be bringing home an extra $1,000 a month, give or take some, after paying taxes and daycare. That a lot of money and it could really help us. If we could get cars and medical bills payed off I wouldn't have to work. Right now I feel like we need the money. I never wanted to put my kiddos is daycare, but they will only be there for ten days out of the whole month, that's not bad. I really don't know what to do. I think deep down I know I need to take the job. I can always go back to being a stay at home mom, I cant always get a job. I would LOVE to hear some feed back from everyone. I know this is truly MY decision, but it always help to hear what other people think.

2 comments:

  1. I dont want to take sides in the daycare v. homecare debate with children, I think each family needs to decide that on a case-by-case basis and choose what is best for their family. Annette and I are blessed that our kids only go part-time, so they get the best of both worlds. But I will say that there are advantages to daycare. Daycare will help their immune systems better and it will make it less of a shock to their immune system when they go to school. Andrew has learned a lot from daycare. Sometimes he is too smart, but that is a differnt subject. A good daycare will not sit you kids in front of the tv all day. The kids play with other kids are learn important socialization skills. This will also make the first day of school less of a shock. I know their are cons to daycare, especially if you have a bad one. All I am saying is don't ignore the pros to daycare.
    Stand in the middle of a group of 2-4 yr olds and ask them to line up. You can always tell the difference between the kids that do go to daycare and the ones that don't. Plus T will get more tired playing all day and sleep better at night.
    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write down the pros and cons. Write down your budget as it is now and what it would be with you working. The added expense of gas, lunch, work clothes, day care sometimes is more than you will make. It actually takes $ from the spouses pay. Be informed of all costs involved including family time.

    ReplyDelete