Friday, March 4, 2011

BYU's Honor Code

Go to fullsize imageAfter seeing the news and learning that a College Basketball Player was benched for having sex with his girlfriend, I was a little flabbergasted. After hearing the whole story I am impressed with BYU!! Al tho I am not sure I could up-hold the honor code, I am impressed that even with march madness coming up they stuck to their guns, and laid down the law. I think athletes get a free pass all to often. I have felt this way even since High School. I went to a school where football players were God. They could do anything and get away with it. Not to mention how the football program sucked the money away from other programs. I would know this because the AWESOME speech and debate team I was on got nothing compared to the football team. I remember one of the head football players showing his balls in the school parking lot and no one blinked an eye. I am sure if I were running around with my VaJaJa out the police would have been called. Maybe no one said anything because his testies were not much to be proud of. I mean why add insult to injury! I feel my husband was treated that was in high school, not because he was a bad kid, but his grades were not something to be proud of. In this way I feel that his teachers and school failed him, all because he was a GREAT football player.
Go to fullsize image
It is nice to finally see a school not giving a star athlete preferential treatment. He knew when deciding to attend the school that they had an honor code, he knew what was in the honor code, and if he didn't agree with it he shouldn't have signed it. Al tho I think some of the things in the code are weird and over the top, I also understand the back ground of that code and where the rules come from. Thank you BYU for not buckling under the pressure of winning March Madness and upholding the values of your school. 

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you!! I watched this story this am on the news and I was really impressed how BYU did not compromise thier values and morals for a title. There is some hope in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I told you lately that I totally love you? Like for reals, you are amazing and my favorite. I love your blog in a pretty major way, and I totally have a crush on your family. Your hubby = the best ever, and I just want to gobble all five of you up and keep you in my tummy forever. Because I love you that much.

    ReplyDelete