Monday, May 23, 2011

Crohns, living with not suffering from.

I thought I would write today about having Chrons Disease. I  was diagnosed in October of 2005, after a long laundry list of tests and accusations.  Go to fullsize imageCrohn's disease, also known as regional enteritis, is an inflammatory disease of the intestines that may affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract from mouth to anus, causing a wide variety of symptoms. It primarily causes abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, or weight loss, but may also cause complications outside the gastrointestinal tract such as skin rashes, arthritis, inflammation of the eye, tiredness, and lack of concentration.
Crohn's disease is thought to be an autoimmune disease, in which the body's immune system attacks the gastrointestinal tract, causing inflammation; it is classified as a type of inflammatory bowel disease. There is evidence of a genetic link to Crohn's disease, putting individuals with siblings afflicted with the disease at higher risk. It is thought to have a large environmental component as evidenced by a higher incidence in western industrialized nations compared to other parts of the world. Males and females are equally affected. Smokers are two times more likely to develop Crohn's disease than nonsmokers. Crohn's disease tends to present initially in the teens and twenties, with another peak incidence in the fifties to seventies, although the disease can occur at any age.
There is no known pharmaceutical or surgical cure for Crohn's disease. Treatment options are restricted to controlling symptoms, maintaining remission, and preventing relapse.
I lived in California alone, going to school, when I was diagnosed. I was accused of being anorexic, eating and purging, and not really being that sick. I had two colonoscopy, an upper G.I, Barrium X-Ray and numerous blood draws. It was finally discovered that I have Crohns in more that one place in my intestine. Finally in November 2005 I had to move home from California because I was so sick. A week before Christmas I was put in the hospital because I was so sick. I weighed 97lb, pale, and cold all the time. I was put on all kinds of medications including steroids, which made me CRAZY. In 2007 a Dr put me on a high does of Pentasa, which in the end gave my asthma, which sucks when you enjoy running. Luckily being preggo has helped put my Crohns on the back burner. There are some foods that still make me sick, but I can handle puking once a week compared to many times a day. I have noticed over the last month my symptoms are more prominate and it is prolly because the hormones from being preggo are finally leaving my body. There is no cure and no really good pharmaceutical treatment. I try to control my symptoms on my own. I will write more on my crohns, sometime I would like to give everyone the whole back story on getting diagnosed. As for now I will continue to live with, not suffer from Crohns!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment